Public agencies, nonprofit organizations, community-based victim service organizations, faith-based organizations, tribal organizations, and community coalitions committed to advocating for the rights and services of crime victims are encouraged to apply. Organizations without 501(c)3 status that serve crime victims and VOCA-funded organizations also are eligible to apply. Organizations, other than community coalitions, are required to have a DUNS number.
Applications from individuals will not be considered for funding. Individuals with innovative ideas related to this project are encouraged to work in partnership with an organization or community coalition.
Types of Activities
Generally, the types of activities funded under the NCVRW CAP program falls under one or more of the following categories:
- a public event at which individual members of the general public physically attend in-person (e.g., candlelight vigils, information or resource fairs, 5k walk/runs, recognition ceremonies, memorial services);
- mass media advertising (e.g., newspaper, radio, or television ads, billboards, mass transit or movie theatre ads, including social media);
- the production, publication and distribution of printed materials (e.g., brochures, posters, victims’ rights cards, resource directories); and/or
- the production and distribution of promotional giveaway items (e.g. bracelets, buttons, t-shirts, grocery/tote bags) that contain a message related to NCVRW.
Allowable and Unallowable Activities
The following activities may be approved for up to $5,000 reimbursement under this initiative:
- Purchase of advertising in print media, radio, television, or outdoor advertising to promote NCVRW events, victims' rights, and available services.
- Design and printing of NCVRW materials, such as posters, invitations and fliers.
- Purchase of trinkets or giveaway items, such as bracelets, pins, and similar items. Items must contain a relevant message, such as the NCVRW theme.
- Modest recognition awards, such as certificates or plaques, not to exceed $50 each.
- Support of NCVRW event speakers (not to exceed $650 per day for each speaker plus travel expense not to exceed the allowable Federal rates).
- Purchase of supplies, materials, and equipment used in public awareness events and activities.
- Rental of space to conduct NCVRW activities and events. The total combined cost for space rental and audio/video equipment may not exceed $25/person per day
The following will not be approved for reimbursement under this initiative:
- Staff salary or time.
- Organizational overhead costs.
- Food, beverages or refreshments.
- Costs associated with a fundraising activity.
- Bar charges or alcoholic beverages.
- Cash prizes and gift cards.
- Costs associated with professional training and other events not open to the public.
Please refer to the "Frequently Asked Questions" page and the Office of Justice Programs' Office of the Comptroller Financial Guide for examples of allowable and unallowable costs.
Application Process and Deadline
Applications are available in various formats and may be faxed to 815-550-1141, attached to an e-mail addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to NCVRW CAP Projects, 5702 Old Sauk Road, Madison, WI 53705. To be considered, applications must be received no later than Friday, August 1, 2014.
NAVAA staff will conduct an initial technical review of all applications to ensure compliance with basic eligiblity requirements. NAVAA representatives will evaluate and grade all eligible applications and prepare a set of recommendations to OVC. OVC will make all final funding decisions. It is expected that all applicants will be notified of the status of their applications the middle of October 2014.
After National Crime Victims' Rights Week, all selected organizations will be required to submit an NCVRW After-Action Report/Reimbursement Request documenting their NCVRW activities and requesting final reimbursement for approved expenses. NAVAA will reimburse the organization within 7 days of approval of the the After-Action Report.
For more information about this funding opportunity, first visit the NCVRW FAQs page. If you cannot find the information you need after visiting the page, email email@example.com.